Friday, February 2, 2007

Word of the Year

I heard recently that "Pluto" won Word of the Year. I don't buy it. But I kind of like it.

I'm looking for a chance to use it. Maybe during the SuperBowl. I think I should be saying, "If Jake Plummer hadn't been plutoed (meaning demoted) the Broncos might be playing tonight." But I'm not diggin' it. I'll use it more like, "Man, did you see that? Urlacher just plutoed Manning."

Speaking of the game, I'm not much on predictions but I sure would like to see the Colts take this one. I can't think of a guy on that team I don't like. And they are exciting to watch. I could say the same for the Bears except they are unquestionably NOT exciting to watch.

We're watching the game with friends, and I'm becoming a big fan of spending my free time in this fashion. Not watching tv, but rather with people. (stream of consciousness: oftentimes I feel tv is like a chain, the kind that is connected to the anchor of a big ol' cruise ship, and I've got it slung around my neck. So who wouldn't throw it off? Well see, it's been glazed like a Krispy Creme doughnut, so I leave it on and just lick the sugar off the iron.) However I'm mucho tired-o of surfaceyness. I suppose it is congenial and convenient, but I am starting (at least trying) to avoid conversations/people where the same thing is said, every time, out of compulsion. Can't you just be nice? Yes, yes I will, but I'm not gonna like it.

Am I the only one that has these conversations? After the pleasantries, there is much standing around, and uncomfortableness if you ask me. Maybe I'm selfish but sometimes I don't want to work at this conversation. Or know what is going on with you. Want it straight, I don't really like being around you all that much. Sorry, but that's where I am right now.

I want depth, or at least a deep area to dive into. I feel like I'm wading into a great, deep pool and I'm playing Marco Polo. As the water is rising I can tell I'm headed toward the deep end but the responses to my "Marco" are mostly behind me, in the "No Diving" end. It feels like most "Polos" are right near the edge of the pool so they can cheat and jump out if I get too close. And I'm not saying they are shallow, just our relationship. Granted, there are some "Polos" I'm not chasing in the shallow end or the deep end, but I think that's ok. But maybe I hear so many at the 3 foot end because the deep end takes some work. Or maybe they're just in the shallow end of my pool.

I'll guess at times it feels like treading water, but I'm hoping the deep end of the pool opens up to the ocean where I hear "Polo." What a great game that would be.

1 comment:

Mike San Marco said...

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/07/word.of.the.year/index.html

Oh, it's the word of the year. Believe it.