Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Baby Jesus Powers

Saw Talladega Nights recently and had high hopes, knowing full well it could never live up to them. Of course the folks KT and I watched it with thought it was a top fiver, so naturally I feigned agreement. Not in my top 5 folks. However I thoroughly enjoyed the prayer at the dinner table. I'm not trying to be nasty but thought I could see a Kenneth Copeland type sitting in Ricky Bobby's chair. This will be a well spent 3 minutes and 4 seconds whether you've seen the film or not.



I have to let you know that after this madness, Walker encouraged his Dad with this treasure, "you made that grace your bitch." Precious.

So why do I find this funny? Other than because it pokes fun at the things that need poking.

Maybe it's more sad and disturbing than funny. I often laugh in the wrong situations because I don't know how to react. The uncomfortable laugh, you know? I think because I have done the same thing. Lots. Except my Jesus wears a turban and sits on a flying rug and only comes out when I rub his belly the right way. Then he'll do what I want. Certainly I know what I need. Or sometimes he's not on the rug, but rather way at the top of some snowy Nepalese mountain. And I have to climb along a goat trail through briers and over boulders, passing through the right checkpoints just to get to him. Finally, when I do I'm just hoping all the stamps I got in my passport and the crap climb I made was worth it. And here's the foolishness of what I do. "Whew, so I've got a question." or "What's the one thing I've been missing?" or "Tell me what to do now." "Can I get some help with this?" or "I need to do something for you to show you how much what you did means. Any ideas?"

Traps, and the list goes on. But this last one is sneaky nasty. I'm trying to get close to equal footing. Not expecting equal-equal, I mean He is God, but isn't there something I can do? Extra credit maybe? I don't really believe that...but sorta, sometimes. There is something in me that is big time against being indebted. But the funny thing is, as big as the price was, there isn't a debt that's being held. "Hey kid, how about just take it." And here's what else I hear, "and I've got more where that came from." It's not like one bank bought the mortgage from another. And now it just has a different payment address.

Less and less do I think that way but years like bricks can build a prison. Thankfully He is throwing open doors for me and I'm just needing to walk through them. Apparently He has the keys.

Galatians 5 says, It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.

That sounds really...really...really good. Like I'm getting away with something.

"You mean I can just walk out?"
"Yep."
"Well let me get some things in order."
"Nah, I'll deal with that. How about we get some dinner."
"Well gosh, I haven't had a good meal in some time, but don't you need me to do something?"
"How about nothing. I've got some good stuff planned but how about we just hang right now."

That's what I feel like today. We're just sorta hangin'. Remember Hangin' with Mr. Cooper? Well I'm hangin' with God. There is some real relationship He wants. Really the same thing I want, I just never knew it. And I forget quickly when old habits come calling. But I've been hearing about fathering and shepherding and receiving. It all sounds quite good, and it's certainly a different picture than what I'd grown accustomed to. There is seeking, and there are promises, but there is also relationship. Real relationship. Living relationship. Today. I'm finally seeing the good news. Not just a ticket on the salvation train but the astounding news that the creator of the universe wants to know me. Little me.

Today.

**********************************************************

I've got lots to unpack. So I'll be back here again. Soon I hope.


This feels really out of place now, and probably isn't the time for it, but here is my rendition of Cal's Jesus.

No comments: