But it is really unfortunate that I can't be myself when it comes to a Christmas card update. To be fair, if I was myself, my wife would be writing the update and I would be watching the Bengals. Regardless, once she secured my commitment, and the process had begun, my update was vetoed multiple times so as not to offend recipients of our Christmas mailings. For the love of Jesus, it's a Christmas update. Come on!
I'd like to share one particular veto. Not to prove that I'm right, but to get to my point.
There is a quick review of our year and in it I mentioned KT made an appearance at her Dad's 60th birthday party. Humor being of the utmost importance in this Christmas update, I wrote, "...old man Cleverdon turned 60..." And despite a roar of laughter from wife, "ummm, maybe we should change that." What? haggle, haggle Fine. "...Cleverdon the Gray turned 60..." "No." After much haggling, "...Cleverdon the Wise turned 60..." And that's where it stands.
So what I realized in the midst of this, is there's a lot of pressure around Christmas.It's the most wonderful time of the year. Remember the reason for the season. Joy to the World. Deck the Halls with boughs of holly. Put up the tree. Send Christmas cards to everyone in the address book (that's overstating it). Fight traffic at the malls to buy gifts for people out of compulsion. Make lots of food. Cookies. If I was better at this my list would be longer I'm sure.
So is this thing overwhelming or what?
Can I just relax? Get in the scriptures. Spend some time alone. Take a walk with my wife. I want to check out the beauty. I want to have friends around without feeling like I'm dodging a train. I don't want to feel like I am supposed to be DOING. Can I just be?
Am I allowed to tell Christmas to back off? Well I'd like to.
It's his peace that I want. Luke 2 says "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests." I'd trade all the Christmas cookies I could find for this. John 14: "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives."
In Isaiah 30 the Lord says, "In repentance and rest is your salvation..."
Yeah, that sounds good. I'll have some more of that.
No comments:
Post a Comment