Thursday, April 26, 2007

Taken

I'm not exactly sure why I decided to start doing this, but not infrequently I take my wedding band off at night and set it on my dresser. What I've found is that when I put it back on each morning it has more significance than just a piece of jewelry I always wear. Sort of like the framed piece of art you forget about in your house until somebody visits and comments. This ritual is a great reminder that I am a husband and have a wife that I need to love.

A few days ago, as I walked into my office, I realized I had forgotten my ring. I have an ingrained habit of spinning my ring by running my left thumb over it, and as I did it felt empty. Now in the short trek left to my assigned space a smile coming from my heart covered my face. The thought was this, "It's really nice to be taken." I'm spoken for. It still makes me smile.

This marriage thing is a pretty good gig if you can get it.

4 comments:

stevie said...

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

Can you imagine how hard it would suck to be DATING right now??

all cars said...

Honestly, I'd like to be dating more. Just with my wife.

bri guy's country said...

Maybe I shouldn't be reading this s#*@ after all. Well, I actually got dissed by this chick last year that I thought I was gonna get married to and stuff, but the cool thing is that now, even though dating blows sometimes and I get lonely (like everyone), I've really learned to enjoy being single. Honestly, it is a gift. The grass is not always greener and singleness can be pretty rad But if get dissed again I'm going to completely wack-o.

Mike San Marco said...

Dude, the grass is way greener.