Flight of the Conchords - I like these guys. They are funny and not serious. But creative and... funny. (Do you ever find yourself trapped into a sentence? I do with thank you notes because I use pen. Not quite so much on the computer but I like the stream of it so sometimes avoid the backspace key.) Storytellers, storytellers. That's what I wanted to say.
A friend sums it up like this:
I love these guys. They're just two dorks who started recording themselves and their stupid humor and it turned into a BBC radio spot, then eventually the HBO show. What is up with that?! YES!
Listen all the way to the end. You'll be surprised at what you learn.
And make sure you carve out some time to watch ALL of their other clips on youtube.
Keller Williams - Maybe this is easy, but I just like watching him create the loops. It's gimmicky and I likey. I still remember when I first saw this happen live. Neat-o.
And it helps he doesn't suck.
Kyle Hollingsworth (via String Cheese Incident) - I sure do dig good piano. Especially this first track. Hopefully "Boo Boo's Pik-a-Nik" plays. And I enjoy his versatility even though I can't listen to much of it for very long. Maybe I'd call that musicianship?
I think if I could not have to work at it and play any instrument really, really well it would be this one. As in people would stop to listen when I played. I have a few friends that I have crushes on because of the little black and white keys they travel so easily.
As a side, I caught the Ray Brown Trio in Cleveland in the late 90s. (Best class assignment I've ever had.) Geoffrey Keezer was playing keys with him. He's got the goods. And I just learned he'll be in the 'Nati at the end of the month. That's just a friendly tip.
M. Ward - "Chinese Translation" reminds me of a Johnny Cash tune. In general I like the instrumentation, the voice, the tempo, the simplicity.
2 comments:
FoC has a television show. I got the DVD for Christmas. You should watch an episode with me sometime. WONDERFUL.
I will for sure. I got one free episode off of iTunes. The other free one wouldn't ever play. Ripoff.
Post a Comment