Didn't Shel Silverstein write that song as a poem? We'll have to look into it. Yes, the same Shel Silverstien from 'Where the Sidewalk Ends'! But first of all, thank you for posting this video because i always wondered what he said when they beeped out "I'm the ________ that named you 'Sue'" on the standard version and now I finally know.
So my apologies to Mr. Silverstein. But now I'm even more impressed with the both of them. Brilliant. Shel's a songwriter. And Cash can sing Silverstein. Who would'a thought?
But I do still like Cash's songwriting. Just others of his.
Later in life Shel supposedly wrote a poem called 'Father of a Boy Named Sue' about what a sissy his son is, but I'm not 100% sure that it's legit. You can google it and see what you think. He tells his version of the story and says things like his son Sue hit him with his purse and stuff. Either way, the Johnny Cash version is a classic.
"Whether we admit it or not, we circle our wagons closer and closer each year. We believe that he's happy and proud of us and is pointing proudly at our circle. But he's not even paying attention because the wagons are together so tight that he can't get in. Not even on his Harley. But we always find room for other wagons that look just like ours."
3 comments:
Didn't Shel Silverstein write that song as a poem? We'll have to look into it. Yes, the same Shel Silverstien from 'Where the Sidewalk Ends'!
But first of all, thank you for posting this video because i always wondered what he said when they beeped out "I'm the ________ that named you 'Sue'" on the standard version and now I finally know.
Seems you're right Bri guy. Seems you're right.
So my apologies to Mr. Silverstein. But now I'm even more impressed with the both of them. Brilliant. Shel's a songwriter. And Cash can sing Silverstein. Who would'a thought?
But I do still like Cash's songwriting. Just others of his.
Later in life Shel supposedly wrote a poem called 'Father of a Boy Named Sue' about what a sissy his son is, but I'm not 100% sure that it's legit. You can google it and see what you think.
He tells his version of the story and says things like his son Sue hit him with his purse and stuff.
Either way, the Johnny Cash version is a classic.
Post a Comment