Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Warning: somewhat political commentary

I think this is the first political comment I've made in this space. Maybe. But hopefully I'll get to make more. That could be fun.

I have learned that TIME magazine just published their 100 most influential list. It's a global, ranked list (which must be hard as you decide between number 86 and 87). Not just an alphabetical list of 100 earthlings.

So who would I think should be in the top 10. George W. Bush. That's reasonable, no? Who is not in the top 10. The previously mentioned current president of the Unites States of America. Nor is he in the top 25. Ummm, ok. I'll listen to your argument. Oh wait, he's not on the list. At all. Anywhere.

I don't care if you like this man or not. I really doesn't matter to me. But it is inconceivable to me that the current president of the country the magazine is written in is left off this list. This man has led the relatively powerful and influential U.S.A. into a military conflict in a region that does not forget or forgive quickly. Thousands of sons have died. It's in the news daily. It is perhaps the single most separating issue in this country today. It was the driving force in the last national election and could very well be again in the next. I won't go on.

What makes you think he is not in the top 100 most influential?

Hello, TIME, you write about this man every week. (I'm guessing, but is there any doubt.) I gathered from a quick look at readers comments on the online article, that this is receiving some small amount of press. Maybe that was the point. If so it's working. But TIME has just knocked itself out of any small stack of news magazines that I would consider reading. Perhaps that will change, but they will have to change first.

And speaking of news magazines, with the speed of the internet, is there any reason to keep these dinosaurs around? I am updated about news every minute of the day. Anything that a magazine puts out is a week old. A week. Maybe doctor office subscribers and airport magazine racks are keeping these things alive.

So long TIME, nice knowing you.

2 comments:

bri guy's country said...

Good quiz question: How many times does Vizzini say the word "inconceivable" in the movie The Princess Bride? I'm gonna go with seven. You'd think more, but I counted once... but I honestly forget the final count. Peace.

Mike San Marco said...

"And speaking of news magazines, with the speed of the internet, is there any reason to keep these dinosaurs around? I am updated about news every minute of the day. Anything that a magazine puts out is a week old. A week. Maybe doctor office subscribers and airport magazine racks are keeping these things alive."

I like magazines. I like to hold them in my hands and flip through the pages. I like to sit at a table at Panera or at my dining room table or on the toilet and read them. There's a certain comfort level I have with having a hard copy in my hands. It's the aura of the thing.

As for W not being in the top 100 most influential people, I 100% agree it is lunacy. If the source is not the Source, it is bound to be slanted, of course, of course.