Monday, May 21, 2007

heart songs

A few weeks ago I took a Saturday morning and got together with a couple of friends. We covered a bunch of stuff but one of the sweetest things happened to me.

Have you ever had somebody say something to you, about you, that you couldn't put to words, but when they said it you knew it was true? Well that's what happened to me. My heart, for some time, had been trying to speak something but my mind couldn't sort it out. I couldn't wrap words around the feelings I was having. But then there it was, as if obvious. What an incredible thing to have the ache of your heart spoken over you. It's hard to describe how my heart was rejoicing, but it was. It still is. I expect this will be a cherished memory for a while.

So fast forward a few weeks to yesterday, Sunday. I am standing in our church house and singing a song that is getting repetitive. Something to the effect of "you are faithful," endlessly. Occasionally I can handle this but there are many times I'm bugged.

So it's happening again. I may even be thinking, "I don't get this." Blah, blah. Do I believe it? Yes. But it's getting tedious. This time however, my mind wanders back on that Saturday morning, how great it was. And there's a nudge in me whispering, "Yeah, I like that too."

KA-BOOM.

Oh...really?...oh...ok.

I've heard about praising God. Or blessing God. But inside of me, it has seemed as something I'm supposed to do. "Well, ok, I guess if that's what you say, I'll praise you. You are awesome. You are good and right. How's that?" Sometimes even part of a prayer formula. Yuck, run.

What if, His heart, is blessed by what I say. Truly blessed. To think that I can bless God, in any way, is amazing to consider. The creator of the universe, the judge of everything, the editor of the bestseller of all time could be blessed by little me.

It makes me think more on this Father-son relationship we have. As a son I can bless my heavenly Father. Mind boggling. More and more I'm thinking that's about all I'm good for. And what a little cuss I've been.

I was gonna say, "As a side note," but I thought better of it. How much can I bless my earthly father. Do I really do that? Ummm, I don't think so, but today I will start.

I think yesterday was another one of those moments that will change me from the guts out. I can be loose and free with my praise and it blesses Him. So great. So, so great.

Father,
You are AWESOME. You are good and right.
You paint incredible sunsets. You grow up beautiful trees.
You are deep to no end and yet make yourself known in the most simple ways.
I love you. I really do.
your boy,
Colin

I think I just figured out where the Psalms came from.

2 comments:

bri guy's country said...

Dang-o! Colin, you just saw the light, man.
Thanks for the enthusiasm.

Mike San Marco said...

You just dropped the hammer. Boom.