Not surprisingly I have been thinking about names. I'm gonna have to name a boy here soon so it's been on my mind. Fortunately we have many friends with children. Unfortunately they have taken numerous cool names so I feel like the selection has begun to limit itself before I could even get in the game. So anytime I hear something about names my ears perk up.When I was younger I did not like my name much but I have grown quite fond of it. Especially my middle name, my mother's maiden name. So I have been quite picky when it comes to this son of mine.
You must know that I am in love with finding shadows of Christ and the Father's nature in the everyday mundane life. I really love it. A lot. And the foreshadowing of events like exodus and passover. Well a couple weeks ago I heard somebody talking about how we take on the name of Christ as Christians. So naturally I started to mull it over and this is where I was stuck.
Is something missed when a wife decides not to take her husband's name when they marry?
I have some friends where the wife has opted for this. I know many of the reasons wives choose not to; career, hassle, independence, etc. And don't think I'm judging if your wife didn't take your name. But is there a missing piece, small though it may be, to a joining of man and woman where the husband's name is is not adopted? I won't wade into authority (which should be a big blessing to the wife if I understand it correctly) or any other stream from these waters but you can. Just a question in my brain these days.
Initially I think there may be something lost. In the same way, as a follower of Jesus, if I would not take up his name, might I be lacking some intimacy? Am I even living in the name I've been given? Am I living as a bride under a new name?
I'll talk to wife about this and see what she thinks about her own name. That isn't a question I've asked her yet but it makes sense to me. I'm sure there's something to be learned from her on this matter.
8 comments:
You can name your kid whatever you want, regardless of what your buddies have named their kids.
Dude, name your kid Mike and seriously consider renaming yourself Michael.
Ok. Thank you for the tips.
Any thoughts on the other part of the post?
Nope, not right now. I'll comment about whatever I want to comment about.
Although, I do think what you say is interesting, Colin, I wish my name were Jesus, Manly.
I don't care what your name is because I want you at my housewarmimg party July 13th. 12533 Fowlers Mill Road. 5:30.
So Jesus is the last name?
It's gonna be tough to make a 5:30 (am or pm) party in the city that LeBron built on a Friday. Why not Saturday? Not saying I'd come to that either.
"Manly von Cleverdon"
MP
Von is a nice middle name.
Post a Comment